In 1998 I bought a house that already had a sump pump. The old lady I bought it from didn’t know how old the sump pump was or even how it operated.
One night after just moving in, I heard the sump pump start running during a thunderstorm. I knew right then that I was going to buy a battery backup sump pump so that I could sleep instead of listening to the pump.
Back then the Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot wasn’t even invented yet. If it had been, I would have bought it.
When looking for a sump pump, it’s important to pay attention to factors such as reliability, durability, and ease of use. The Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot is all of that. It also comes with an alarm system that alerts you if there’s an issue with the pump, giving you time to make necessary repairs.
If you are looking for a reliable sump pump with a battery backup system, the Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot ProPak53 is a great option. Check The Price
Table of Contents
- Includes the primary pump and battery backup system: The 508-0006 Aquanot comes with both a primary sump pump and a battery backup pump. This ensures that your basement will stay dry even during power outages or other emergencies.
- Comes fully assembled and ready easy installation in your sump basin.
- Zoeller Aquanot Spin Controller willself-diagnose system operation and warns homeowners. It keeps the backup battery charged and includes a low battery indicator and alarm. The Spin Controller can be connected to a home security system or auto dialer.
- High pumping capacity: The primary pump can move up to 44.6 GPM at a 5-foot head height or 34 GPM at a 10-foot head height. While the backup pump can move up to 41 GPM at a 5-foot head height and 34 GPM at 10 feet. This makes the 508-0006 Aquanot one of the best combination sump pumps for most homes in the USA.
- Backup pump run time on a fully charged battery is 6 hours of continuous pump operation. If the backup pump is operating at a 10% duty cycle, then the run time will be 48 hours or more.
- Extra protection when the 115-volt primary breaks down or wears out or fails due to power outages.
- Solid-state, automatic battery and pump controller with alarms, light indicators, and warning systems. It will tell you when the battery needs to be replaced. So, no more guessing!
- The primary pump and backup pump have separate floats to turn the pumps on and off. Which provides added protection against floods. These switches activate the pump at different water levels. Ensuring that the battery backup sump pump only operates when needed.
- Battery Backup: One of the key advantages of this sump pump system is its battery backup feature. It comes with a reliable battery system that allows the backup sump pump to function even during power outages. This is especially beneficial in areas prone to storms and frequent power disruptions.
- Durable construction: The primary pump housing is made of cast iron, which is highly resistant to corrosion and wear. The impeller is made of thermoplastic, which is also very durable. Whereas the backup sump pump has a thermoplastic motor housing. Which lowers its weight.
- Zoeller Brand Reliability: The Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot is known for its durability and reliability. It is designed to handle 20% more load on the motor than the pump normally experiences. That can help prevent the motor from burning out if something should block the impeller from turning.
- The battery case fits all group size 27, 29 and 31 batteries. So, you can use most of the popular 12V AGM or deep cycle batteries.
- Includes: Model 53 115-volt pump, Model 508 Aqua not, 115 Volt DC backup system with pump, check valve, float switch and piping
- Plumbed in 1-1/2″ Such 40 PVC pipe
- Comes fully assembled and ready to install in your clear water sump
- Extra protection when the primary AC pump fails due to power outages
- Fully solid state automatic 10A charger/controller with alarm, light indicator and warning system
Shown above is the Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot ProPak53 preassembled sump pump system with 1/3 HP 115V primary pump and 1/3 HP 12V battery backup pump. With charge controller and alarm system that can be connected to a home security system. Stop worrying and buy this now.
- The battery is not included. Also, the battery amp hour rating and the age of the battery will affect how long the battery can operate the backup pump.
- Will be too large for a residential sump pit basin smaller than 18 inches in diameter.
- Size and Weight: The overall system weight is 59 pounds. So, when it arrives, the box can be heavy.
The battery charger controller weighs about 4 pounds and the battery case weighs 2 pounds. So, you are looking at lifting 53 pounds (59 – 6 = 53)when placing it into the sump basin.
Because everything is assembled it can be awkward to handle while lowering it into the sump basin. This could be a drawback for individuals with limited physical strength.
- Battery Maintenance and Replacement: While the backup battery is monitored by the Spin Controller, the battery will eventually need to be replaced. I recommend the AGM SLA deep cycle batteries for their nearly zero maintenance. (You might have to clean corroded terminals).
Batteries gradually lose the ability to run the sump pump. So, at some point it won’t pump water for as long as needed. Sump pump manufacturers recommend replacing the battery after three years of use. You may get longer usage if your backup sump pump doesn’t operate very often.
- Cannot be used as a bilge pump.
Features That Make the Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot Valuable
- The primary sump pump is the 1/3HP 115V Zoeller M53 which is highly recommended all by itself. Add the 1/3HP 12V backup pump and you have a great system.
Some battery backup systems only have a 1/4HP backup sump pump. Which is better than nothing. However, if you needed a 1/3HP primary pump to keep the basement dry, why would you settle for a smaller backup pump?
- The Spin Controller: It is the control box that makes the system reliable and easy to use.
It has LED light indicators so homeowners can see immediately: AC power is on/off, battery is fully or partially charged, battery is being charged.
Built-In Alarms will sound if the water level is too high or the battery has been drained. It will even let you know if you connected the battery cables incorrectly.
Alarm Off Button: The alarm is loud and once it has your attention you can shut off until the problem is fixed. Then be sure that it is turned on again.
The Spin Controller has a 10-Amp battery charger that prevents over charging the battery and burn it out. The charger meets the California Battery Council standards and the cURus Canada and USA regulations.
- Works with a home security alarm or auto dialers to notify homeowners of any malfunction. Just hook up the dry contacts to your home protection system.
Overall, the Zoeller Aquanot 508-0006 Sump Pump is a solid choice for those in need of a reliable sump pump system with a battery backup.
Zoeller: The Brand of Reliability and Performance
When it comes to sump pumps, Zoeller is a name that stands out for its reliability and performance. As a company that has been in the business for over 80 years, Zoeller has built a reputation for quality and innovation.
In fact, Zoeller is a brand that I trust and recommend to others.
One of the things that sets Zoeller apart from other brands is its dedication to quality. Zoeller uses only the highest quality materials in its products, and each pump is rigorously tested before it leaves the factory. This attention to detail ensures that Zoeller pumps are built to last and can withstand even the toughest conditions.
In addition to its commitment to quality, Zoeller is also known for its technological advancements. For example, the Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot primary and battery backup sump pump features a unique battery monitoring system that alerts you when the battery needs to be replaced. This innovative feature ensures that your sump pump is always ready to go when you need it most.
Zoeller 508-0006 vs 508-0005 vs 508-0007 vs 508-0014 vs 508-0020
|Feature||Zoeller 508-0005 Aquanot Spin controller||Zoeller 508-0014 Auquanot Fit controller||Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot Spin controller M53 ProPak||Zoeller 508-0007 Aquanot Spin controller M98 ProPak||Zoeller 508-0020 Aquanot Fit controller M63 ProPak|
|Check The Price||Check The Price||Check The Price||Check The Price||Check The Price|
|Primary Pump Included||No||No||M53||M98||M63|
|Primary Pump Horsepower||N/A||N/A||1/3 HP||1/2HP||1/3 HP|
|Primary Pump Flow Rate 5 foot head height||N/A||N/A||44.6 GPM||72 GPM||43 GPM|
|Primary Pump Flow Rate 10 foot head height||N/A||N/A||34 GPM||61 GPM||35 GPM|
|Backup Pump Horsepower||1/3 HP||1/3 HP||1/3 HP||1/3 HP||1/3 HP|
|Backup Pump Continuous Run Time||6 hours||6 hours||6 hours||6 hours||6 hours|
|Backup Pump Part Time Running 10% duty cycle||48 hours+||48 hours+||48 hours+||48 hours+||48 hours+|
|Backup Pump Flow Rate 5 foot head height||41 GPM||39 GPM||41 GPM||41 GPM||41 GPM|
|Backup Pump Flow Rate 10 foot head height||34 GPM||30 GPM||34 GPM||34 GPM||34 GPM|
|Backup Pump Shut Off Head Height||28 feet||22 feet||28 feet||28 feet||28 feet|
|Z Control Cloud App (Free) with Text/Email notification. Remote control.||No||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|Dry Connection to home security system||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Pump Body Material||plastic||plastic||Cast iron Primary, plastic Backup||Cast iron Primary, plastic Backup||Cast iron Primary, plastic Backup|
|Alarm System||Built-in||Built-in||Built-in||Built-in||Built in WiFi|
|Battery Charger Included||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Battery Replacement Reminder||No||Yes||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
|Warranty||3-year limited||3-year limited||3-year limited||3-year limited||5-year limited|
|Misc.||Blank||Blank||Blank||Blank||LED plug and the premium longer lasting switch.|
Zoeller Spin Controller vs Fit Controller vs Z Controll
|Zoeller Aquanot Spin Controller||Zoeller Aquanot Fit Controller||Z Control® Cloud App|
|The Spin controller is an automatic charging and protection system, including a low battery indicator and alarm, self-testing technology.||The Fit controller is an automatic charging and protection system, including a low battery indicator and alarm, redundant high water switch, self-testing technology, and built-in Wi-Fi.||The most advanced diagnostic and system controller from Zoeller.|
|Self testing and battery|
monitoring system for peace of
|Self testing and battery monitoring|
system for peace of mind
|Remote Control: You can have access to monitor and troubleshoot your pump equipment from anywhere.|
charger/controller with alarm,
light indicator and warning
charger/controller with alarm, light
indicator and warning system
|Recieve notifications to your phone via text, email, or in-app push notifications.|
|Made in the U.S.A. and Canada|
by Zoeller Company using a
majority of U.S. and Canadian
|Made in the U.S.A. and Canada by|
Zoeller Company using a majority of
U.S. and Canadian components
|Diagnose and determine service urgency. Respond to potential issues before problems occur|
|Blank||Built in Wi-Fi®||iOS and Android App is compatible with major phone operating systems for convenient use|
|Blank||Two independent, supervised|
Heavy duty mechanical operating
High water sensor with alarm and
pump run redundancy.
|Does NOT have Z Control®||FREE Z Control® access|
Email, text, and push notifications
Remote monitoring and control
I need a backup system for an existing sump pump.
That is what the Zoeller 508-0005 Aquanot battery backup system was made for.
Read my article: Zoeller Aquanot 508-0005 Battery Backup Sump Pump Review
When it comes to choosing a primary and battery backup sump pump, there are a few key features you should look for to ensure you are getting the best product for your needs.
First and foremost, consider the horsepower of the pump. A 1/3 HP sump pump is normally enough for most homes.
However, a 1/2HP pump will be able to handle more water and pump it out faster, which is especially important in areas with heavy rainfall or a high-water table. In that situation you need the Zoeller 508-0007 Aquanot M98 ProPak
Next, look for a pump with a durable and corrosion-resistant construction. Cast iron is better for the primary sump pump because it dissipates heat better than plastic. Which is needed when the pump is running often. However, the battery backup sump pump can have a plastic housing because it isn’t needed very much. So, its lifespan should match that of the primary pump.
Another important feature to consider is the flow rate of the pump. Don’t just look at maximum flow rates because those are calculated when the water is pumped horizontally not vertically.
If the pump is being used in a crawl space, then use the 5-foot head height pumping rate. When used in a basement use the 10-foot head height pumping rate.
The alarm notification method needs to get your attention when something goes wrong. The least expensive battery backup systems have loud alarms and indicator lights.
The next step up is the ability to wire the backup system to the home security system or an auto dialer. The best systems have Wi-Fi connectivity so homeowners can know what has happened and even control the backup system from their cell phones. The best Wi-Fi connected Zoeller system is the Zoeller 508-0020 Auquanot M63 ProPak.
Installing the Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot ProPakM53
Installing the Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot primary and battery backup sump pump could not be easier. Lower the assembled pumps into the sump basin. Connect the discharge pipe on the pump system to the existing discharge pipe. That is normally done using the fittings on the check valve that you should already have installed when the original sump pump was installed.
You will need a hacksaw to cut the existing discharge pipe a little shorter. Connect both pipes with the check valve fittings.
Plug the primary pump power cord into a GFCI electrical outlet. It needs a separate circuit outlet from the battery backup pump controller.
Next put the battery in the battery case. Connect the cables from the 12V backup pump to the battery, and from the battery to the controller.
Plug the controller into a wall outlet. Check the controller LED light indicators to see if everything is operating properly.
Now it is time to pour some water into the sump pit to make the primary pump operate. If it is working, then shut off the circuit breaker that run the primary pump. Pour more water into the sump pit and the battery backup sump pump should now start running.
Once a month look at the controller to see how the system is operating.
Depending on the humidity where the Zoeller 508-006 Aquanot is located, check the terminals on the battery once or twice a year to see if they have corroded.
Expect to be replacing the battery every three to five years.
Additionally, make sure to clean the sump pit and pump to prevent clogs and blockages. Honestly, most people don’t do that unless they have a problem or need to replace a pump. However, keeping them clean will extend their lifetime before needing replacement.
When working with the pump, always follow the manufacturer’s safety precautions. Always turn off the electric power before doing any maintenance. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection
That’s it for maintaining the Zoeller Aquanot 508-0006 primary and battery backup sump pumps.
The Verdict: Why the Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot is a Great Choice
Anyone that does not already have a sump pump or needs to replace an existing sump pump should consider buying the Zoeller Aquanot 508-0006 ProPak
It is the least expensive Zoeller ProPak primary and battery backup system, and it can be connected to a home security system.
Unlike some other battery backup systems, both pumps are 1/3HP. Whereas other systems have a 1/3HP primary pump and a 1/4HP battery backup pump. My experience has shown that you can’t afford to have a lesser powered backup sump pump and still keep the basement dry.
Want the best? Buy the Zoeller 508-0020 Aquanot M63 ProPak. It has a 5 year warranty because it has a more durable switch.
Need more horsepower for moving lots of water? Buy the Zoeller 508-0007 Aquanot M98 ProPak. It has a 1/2HP primary pump.
Already have a primary sump pump? Then buy the Zoeller 508-0005 Aquanot battery backup system
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between the Zoeller 507 Basement Sentry and Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot?
The Zoeller 507 Basement Sentry is just the controller system. It does not include any pumps. Also, the Zoeller 507 Basement Sentry is an older version of the Zoeller controllers. It works well and is dependable.
The Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot has a more sophisticated controller and includes both sump pumps, the 115V primary and the 12V battery backup pump.
What are the common troubleshooting steps for the Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot?
If you are experiencing issues with your Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot, there are a few common troubleshooting steps you can take.
First, check to make sure that the pump is plugged in and that the circuit breaker has not been tripped.
If the pump is running but not pumping water check the float to make sure it is not tangled in a power cord or wedged against the sump basin.
Next, check the charge on the battery. A weakly charged battery can make the pump run but not be powerfully enough to eject the water.
Also, check to make sure that the discharge line is not blocked or frozen.
The first time I helped to install a drain tile and basement sump pump system was 1978.
Since then I have worked for a city water utility where I worked with and maintained pumps.
My rental properties and personal homes all needed sump pumps.
As a modular home dealer/builder, those new homes needed sump pumps.
I put that experience to good use by providing reliable, useful, and practical advice on buying, using, and maintaining sump pumps.